Sunday, July 6, 2008

Is race-walking really an Olympic sport?

The Italian restaurant - Bepe and Giannia's Tratolina - we ate at last night was really good. Bob and Ali, it's on 19th street just south of the track...make sure you check it out. They had some really good, authentic Italian. The ice cream place across the street was excellent as well.

I wouldn't call the sleep I got last night a good night's rest; it was more like a nap. Kempe and I were hanging out at Villards. The place was packed last night. Kempe introduced me to this girl who runs for Georgia, Natalie Pittchella, who was really cool to hang out with. We didn't get back until about 2:30. I was up at 6:15 to tape, of all things, the women's 20k racewalk.

That is an oxymoron if I've ever heard one. Race and walk. I'll give them some credit, but not too much. The few fans that were there were cheering: "Go walkers!" What kind of race has fans that yell for walkers? Exactly. Worst part about it, it was really cold this morning. Low 50s with a brisk North wind. Having not been prepared for that kind of cold, I was a popsicle by the end of the race.

After breakfast, some of us made the trip to the Skinner's Butte lookout, located just north of Eugene (see pictures). It was a nice, clear day and the view of the city was awesome.

The last day of the meet starts soon. I can't wait for the 1500. My prediction is 1) Lagat 2) Gabe Jennings 3) Lomong. Look out for Manzano and Ohioian Rob Myers. Although I would like to see Alan Webb make the team, I just don't think it's gonna happen.

Off to Hayward!

No comments: