Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Oregon Trail

Let me first start by saying this whole blogging idea is a result of a suggestion courtesy Ali Wayner - some of you might recognize her pre-marital name, Ali Green. I am going to try to submit a few posts each day and if you hang with me as I try to learn how the heck this whole hting works, I'll attempt to get some pictures up too.

Anyway, you would think that 200 years after the first settlers blazed the path that we now affectionately call "the Oregon Trail," the trip westward would be considerably easier. Having been up for 24 straight hours now and having to deal with the craziness that comes with today's airline travels, I'm starting to think maybe Lewis and Clark chose the right mode of transportation: the wagon!

My journey to Eugene began this morning, after a 3-hour nap last night, when I left Athens at 5:00 a.m. (ET). After a few short stops along the way - The Houch's house (thanks The Houch for letting me park my car at your house) and Phoenix (my layover destination) - I arrived in Portland, Oregon shortly before 4:00 p.m. (ET). I know that I'm still considered young and the long flights should not physically bother me, but my knees do not handle cross-country flights very well! Running does take its toll on the body, believe it or not. Once I met up with the rest of our group at the Portland Airport, we proceeded to wait 3 more hours for our rental cars.

The drive from Portland to Eugene was a little longer than I expected, but it's a beautiful drive. Portland looks to be a great city and the view of Mount Hood off in the distance is amazing! We finally made it in to Eugene around 7:00 p.m. (PT). Having only eaten a pop tart and two jr. cheeseburgers, courtesy Wendy's, all day I was hungry - to say the least. The HPC gang - that is our group - decided to make a dinner stop at Track Town Pizza. The place is pretty self-explanatory...they serve pizza in a hut adorned with Oregon Track memorabilia. Pretty cool, I must say.

Finally, around 9:00 p.m. (PT), we managed to check into the place we are staying, which by the way is a stones-throw out my bedroom window from Hayward Field. I had just enough time to toss my stuff in my room, switch into my running shorts and take a quick 9 mile tour of the campus and town before it got too late!

I've been up entirely too long. I'm going to get some sleep. Tomorrow is the first day of the 2008 Track and Field Olympic Trials. Looking forward to two races: men's 5,000 meter semi-finals and women's 10,000 meter finals!

I'll make sure to make a few more posts tomorrow. They'll be shorter - I promise! Pictures are on their way.


Alison said...

You were out there only one day and you saw a bald eagle! Like I said -- luckiest person I know.

Bob Leon said...

Craig: we really enjoy reading your blog and the interesting people and activities you are experiencing.
It appears that the atmosphere is electric and the competition intense. Sounds like the folks in Oregon know how to do track and field. Am sure you loved running on Pre's trail, it must be a great feeling. Keep up the good work and use some sunscreen tomorrow!